Tuesday 4 August 2015

Modern Way

I know 'cos I've seen it,
It was great and I want it.
There's no point in sitting
Going crazy on my own...

Do you know what I mean? Happiness. What is the value of happiness to you? My new found therapist asked me this and I said it was priceless... I later told him about being robbed on a work night out, how I cried even though all they took was my phone. He responded "If happiness is priceless why have you given it away for a €90 phone?". I had no answer. 

I have been happy before. I know exactly how it tastes. Sometimes it feels like I'm trying to replicate some exquisite recipe that an ancient master chef had created and I just wind up with it being too bitter every time. I'm at a point in my career where I shouldn't take free work but I do because I want to do something and I inevitably lose happiness for free. And still... There's no point in sitting going crazy on my own.

Do you know what
I was put here in this world for?
Could you tell me
In three words or more?
It's the only way of getting out of here.

I really hope it was theatre or blogging. Maybe one day I could be the ultimate online theatre critic? Not Miserable sounds through my speakers now... My mind flies to the need for a tattoo. I want to cover all of my scars. I need to feel better. I need to get the hell out of here. 

Advice flies from every corner. People chime "I hope it's helping" and "I bet you feel better" but I can't perfect this recipe. What the fuck am I missing? My therapist says you shouldn't give advice until it's asked for but I'm asking now: What are the ingredients to happiness?

Take a lesson
From the ones who have been there.
My brain is not damaged
But in need of some repair.
Hold on to the basics
But we can change all our tactics.
There's no point in sitting
Going crazy on my own.
It's the only way of getting out of here.
It's the only way of getting out of here.

Let's recap: Healthy eating, puppy cuddles, loving family, listening friends, exercise, three year plan... How do I repair my brain? Can it be as simple as covering my scars, changing my bed and sharing my story? Is there some cocktail of drugs that could aid this recovery? My mother says to fake it 'til I make it... I've faked it for a decade. This is taking too long. Is there a microwavable version? Can I get a doggy-bag of this happiness dish?

This is the modern way
Of faking it everyday
And taking it as we come
And we're not the only ones
Is that what we used to say?
'This is the modern way'?

That can't be right. It can't be that dismissive. I need something authentic.

I know where I'm going
And that we are in the knowing
And I will stop at nothing
Just to get what I want...
It's the only way of getting out of here.

That's the key. I will stop at nothing just to get what I want. Have you ever watched anything by Jim Henson? You must have. He's responsible for the whole world I live in. The Muppets, Fraggle Rock, Labyrinth and Sesame Street are all his creations. His company made the puppets used at the end of Forgetting Sarah Marshall, too. There's a line near the end of The Muppet Movie where his closest puppet, Kermit (Sam & Friends, The Muppets), says to the bad guy "Yeah, well I've got a dream too but it's about singing and dancing and making people happy. That's the kind of dream that gets better the more people you share it with. And, well, I've found a whole bunch of friends who have the same dream and it kind of makes us like a family." I like to think that line is straight from Henson's mouth, he created the world that I want to live in. I think we should jump on that band wagon of making people happy, maybe that's the key of unlocking our own.

I'm not saying to give up on therapy or whatever prescription you're on but I think, ultimately, we can live with the idea that the world is full of good people and if you can't find one you should be one. Smile and the whole world smiles with you kind of life.

It's the only way of getting out of here.
-Modern Way, Kaiser Chiefs

depressivedetails@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment